Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Guided Readings

      I found my article on Guided Reading through an ERIC database search. I was unable to open it, so I found the same article by Google Searching, which is why the link does not exactly match up. As I read through several articles, looking for one I would like to blog about, I came across a few that mentioned we are "OVER" guiding our students with guided readings. I guess I can see where the articles are coming from, if we, as teachers are always telling our students how to think, how could they possibly learn to think for them selves? On the opposition, I agree teaching children how to comprehend their readings and apply information to their lives can be a bit overwhelming and the process needs to be modeled, but it also needs to be slowly reduced so that students can learn to individually think for themselves.
    Students may learn how to think for themselves when reading a particular style of book, but as students progress academically, they are introduced to new types of books, readings, and information processing concepts. Which brings me to my article, Guided Reading Beyond The Primary Grades, by Margaret Mooney. In this article Mooney addresses the importance of that continued guidance with students and their thinking about thinking process, or meta cognition. It walks teachers through the types of questions to ask students in the upper elementary grades. I love how it mentions that teachers need to see themselves as group members rather than leaders if discussion. Mooney says that teachers will be more than surprised at student responses when they are free and open to make interpretations and gain their own insights.
**ARTICLE LINK**
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3666/is_199509/ai_n8723619/

** I also found this link that was helpful, it included specific books and questions to guide teachers to building good and appropriate inference questions. **
http://www.carolhurst.com/profsubjects/reading/guided.html

4 comments:

  1. SHONNA! That is such and awesome gadget you have on the top of your blog!! What is it? And, how did you do it??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree that teachers should view themselves as group members. I think students learn so much when they can see that their teachers are learning and growing, too. Learning never stops!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I went to the add a gadget link, like you showed us to add our classmates. I went to the view all tab (or something like it) and typed in education in the search box. A few things came up, the books being one. I can help you on Tuesday if you can not find it, let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shonna, it's awesome that your article gives you the types of questions to ask your students. That's really important because when we get into our classrooms we won't remember all the techniques to use and questions to ask. So having the article handy will help you to remember what questions would be effective.

    ReplyDelete